2-Years Retired Footballer, Rio Ferdinand Set To Become A Professional Boxer

Forum 6 years ago

2-Years Retired Footballer, Rio Ferdinand Set To Become A Professional Boxer

Former Manchester United defender, Rio Ferdinand will attempt to become a professional boxer at the age of 38 after taking up the sport to stay fit in retirement from football and to channel his grief after the death of his wife.

The former Manchester United and England defender has posted training videos to his social media accounts in recent months jokingly challenging professional boxers such as Tyson Fury, Tony Bellew and David Haye to a fight.

Ferdinand is expected to reveal more details at a press conference in London later on Tuesday. The former Sheffield United midfielder Curtis Woodhouse and the former Norwich striker Leon McKenzie made the switch to boxing with some success.

Ferdinand’s training will be filmed for a TV documentary series and that he will aim to have his first fight as its concluding episode.

“The chance to prove myself in a new sport was a real draw. Boxing is an amazing sport for the mind and the body. I have always had a passion for it and this challenge is the perfect opportunity to show people what’s possible.
It’s a challenge I’m not taking lightly, clearly not everyone can become a professional boxer, but with the team of experts Betfair are putting together and the drive I have to succeed, anything is possible” said Ferdinand.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related forums
Tron: Ares Set Video Showcases Jared Leto in Costume
Forum | 2 days ago

Tron: Ares Set Video Showcases Jared Leto in Costume

BBNaija’s Mike Edwards Joins Professional Boxing, Anticipates Debut
Forum | 3 days ago

BBNaija’s Mike Edwards Joins Professional Boxing, Anticipates Debut

Tension In Kano As Ganduje Set For Arraignment On April 17
Forum | 4 days ago

Tension In Kano As Ganduje Set For Arraignment On April 17