Heat 2’s Michael Mann Gives Script and Casting Update, Will Start Right Where First Movie Ends

Forum 3 weeks ago

Heat 2’s Michael Mann Gives Script and Casting Update, Will Start Right Where First Movie Ends

Michael Mann has provided an update regarding Heat 2.

Speaking on the podcast “Table For Two With Bruce Bozzi,” per ScreenRant, Mann confirmed that he’s currently still writing the screenplay for the upcoming sequel to 1995’s Heat. He also revealed that Heat 2 will begin right where the first movie left off and noted he’s “had some conversations with some people” about casting.

What did Michael Mann say about Heat 2?

“I’m writing the screenplay right now,” Mann said. “And it comes from having so much background and then protracting where some of these lives go. What I had to figure out is a device, a story, that can keep the end of it and the beginning – it is a prequel and a sequel. Starts in ’88, it actually starts on the first day after the end of the movie with Val Kilmer trying to get out of L.A.

“He’s wounded and half delirious. And then it goes back to 1988 and they’re very different people. They’re not the people they are in the movie. It’s the events of ’88 that made them into the people they are in the movie. So the De Niro character, Neil McCauley, is deep into a relationship with a woman, he has a stepdaughter. He has all these attachments. And then what happens in 2000 takes us into a whole different world, transnational organized crime and Ciudad del Este, which is a free trade zone in South America and Southeast Asia.

“I’ve had some conversations with some people, but I can’t really cast until the screenplay is written.”

Mann and Reed Farrel Coleman wrote a novel, published in 2022, that serves as a sequel to Heat. Mann confirmed plans to turn the novel into a movie, which is expected to begin filming this year. It’s been rumored that Adam Driver — who starred in Mann’s last movie, Ferrari — could play in the upcoming film, though his casting has not been confirmed at this time.

Heat 2 does not yet have a release date.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Happy Death Day 3 Update Given by Jessica Rothe
Forum | 1 day ago

Happy Death Day 3 Update Given by Jessica Rothe

Extraction 3 Gets a Promising Update From Writer Joe Russo
Forum | 1 day ago

Extraction 3 Gets a Promising Update From Writer Joe Russo

EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash

It
Forum | 3 days ago

It's Difficult To Say RIP - Zubby Michael Posts Junior Pope On Instagram After He Was Dragged For Not Mourning