John Waters Gives Disappointing Liarmouth Update: ‘We Don’t Have the Money to Make It’

Forum 2 weeks ago

John Waters Gives Disappointing Liarmouth Update: ‘We Don’t Have the Money to Make It’

John Waters says that his next movie, Liarmouth, is having problems when it comes to financial funding.

Per Variety, Waters answered some fan questions at an event in Los Angeles this past weekend and discussed some of the upcoming projects he’s been attached to over the years.

“My last film was 20 years ago, but I’ve been paid to write six other ones in that time,” he said. “Four different sequels to Hairspray; Fruitcake, which has gone through a couple of versions that still might happen; and Liarmouth.”

The latter of the projects is based on a 2022 novel, Liarmouth: A Feel-Bad Romance, written by Waters. In February 2024, it was reported that the upcoming movie may star Aubrey Plaza, which Waters confirmed was accurate.

Waters did, however, note that the movie currently doesn’t have enough funding and he’s unsure how things will play out moving forward.

“The book was optioned,” he said. “I turned in the script. They like the script, but we don’t have the money to make it. I’m thrilled that [Plaza is] going to [star in it], but we don’t have the money yet. I don’t know what’s going to happen, and so I’m trying to get Fruitcake going too. We’ll see.”

What is Liarmouth about?

The synopsis for Waters’ novel reads, “Marsha Sprinkle: Suitcase thief. Scammer. Master of disguise. Dogs and children hate her. Her own family wants her dead. She’s smart, she’s desperate, she’s disturbed, and she’s on the run with a big chip on her shoulder. They call her Liarmouth―until one insane man makes her tell the truth.”

Fruitcake, meanwhile, is a Christmas movie that was originally announced in the late 2000s. At one point, Johnny Knoxville and Parker Posey were being eyed to star in the movie; however, it never came to fruition and ended up being shelved. It’s currently unclear how far along development is on the film.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Nigerian Man, His Wife And 11 Others Arrested In Vietnam For Alleged Money Laundering
Forum | 11 hours ago

Nigerian Man, His Wife And 11 Others Arrested In Vietnam For Alleged Money Laundering

Happy Death Day 3 Update Given by Jessica Rothe
Forum | 1 day ago

Happy Death Day 3 Update Given by Jessica Rothe

Extraction 3 Gets a Promising Update From Writer Joe Russo
Forum | 1 day ago

Extraction 3 Gets a Promising Update From Writer Joe Russo

EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash
Forum | 2 days ago

EPL: Harry Redknapp gives surprise prediction for Tottenham vs Arsenal clash