EPL: It’s gone 100% – Merson slams Arteta as Arsenal lose in title race

Forum 2 weeks ago

EPL: It’s gone 100% – Merson slams Arteta as Arsenal lose in title race

Arsenal legend, Paul Merson, has insisted that his former club are “100%” out of the Premier League title race.

Merson was reacting to the Gunners’ 2-0 loss to Aston Villa on Sunday.

Speaking on Sky Sports, Merson accused manager Mikel Arteta of selecting the wrong XI.

He told Sky Sports: “I said before the game I didn’t like Arteta’s decision with the team he picked.

“Keep on playing the same team that wins every week, don’t have the wool pulled over your eyes from a 25-minute cameo against Bayern Munich. Jesus comes on and does well, and he moves Havertz.

“They’ve won nine of 10 with Jorginho and Havertz playing where they were. It was a bench today that if it wasn’t going right, he didn’t have anyone. Usually you have Trossard and Jesus to come on.

“He did it against Southampton last season when he left Jorginho out. The pressure gets to everybody. That’s where you need a Pep Guardiola, who keeps cool.”

When asked about Arsenal’s chances of winning their first title since 2004, saying, he replied: “For me, it’s gone. 100 per cent.”

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
EPL: Iwobi moves to fourth position on Nigeria’s highest capped list
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Iwobi moves to fourth position on Nigeria’s highest capped list

EPL: You damaged English football – Pochettino slams VAR after Aston Villa draw
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: You damaged English football – Pochettino slams VAR after Aston Villa draw

Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0
Forum | 1 day ago

Nigerian-born striker, Martin Obi scores seven goals as Arsenal win 7-0

EPL: Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Aston Villa sees Arsenal qualify for Champions League
Forum | 1 day ago

EPL: Chelsea’s 2-2 draw with Aston Villa sees Arsenal qualify for Champions League