Tragedy As Burrow Pit Collapses, Kills 7 Almajirai In Kebbi

Forum 1 week ago

Tragedy As Burrow Pit Collapses, Kills 7 Almajirai In Kebbi

Yesterday, a pit collapsed on eight pupils of the Malam Dan-Umma Qur’anic School in Bayan Science, Badariya, Birnin Kebbi Local Government Area of Kebbi State. Tragically, seven of them lost their lives, while one sustained injuries.

The proprietor of the school, Malam Dan Umar, confirmed the incident to reporters at his residence in the school premises yesterday.

He said he had assigned the pupils to go on top of the hill near the school to excavate clay and gravels to mend the holes inside their rooms against an expected flood.

Umar, who spoke amid tears, said that in the process, a heavy chunk of the laterite fell on them, leaving seven dead on the spot and one hospitalised.

“Today is one of the saddest days in my life. When I was told that a heavy chunk of the laterite fell on them, I immediately rushed to the scene of the incident, where I confirmed that seven of them were dead. The one who survived was rushed to the hospital in Birnin Kebbi.

“It was sad for me. I was still in the house when someone called to tell me the bad news. I still find it difficult to believe,” he said.

Residents around the area said that apart from using some caved areas of the hill for convenience, the pupils also used its mud to build a place where they rested.

One of the residents, Malam Shehu Abubakar, said the incident was like a dream to him.

“I saw them this morning when they gathered at the hill as they used to do every day. The hill is like a home to them. That is where they usually do all their things. If they were not in the class, you would find them doing one thing or another,” he said.

The special adviser to Governor Nasir Idris on pilgrims’ welfare, Zayyanu Sanka, who also lives around the area, was reported to have said that the state government would look into the possibility of banning the excavation of soil or gravels on top of such hills in order to forestall reoccurrence.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Kebbi State College of Nursing Science admission list into Basic Nursing, 2024/2025
Forum | 4 days ago

Kebbi State College of Nursing Science admission list into Basic Nursing, 2024/2025

Tragedy As Five Children Suffocate To Death Inside Packed Car In Niger State
Forum | 1 week ago

Tragedy As Five Children Suffocate To Death Inside Packed Car In Niger State

Boy Kills World: Bill Skarsgård Engages in a Gun Fight in New Clip
Forum | 1 week ago

Boy Kills World: Bill Skarsgård Engages in a Gun Fight in New Clip

PDP Kicks As Police Officer Kills Businessman In Aba
Forum | 1 week ago

PDP Kicks As Police Officer Kills Businessman In Aba