The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie

Forum 1 week ago

The Wedding Banquet: Lily Gladstone, Bowen Yang Cast in Remake of Ang Lee Movie

Lily Gladstone and Bowen Yang will star in a remake of Ang Lee’s The Wedding Banquet.

Bleecker Street and Shivhans Pictures have announced that Andrew Ahn will direct a reimagination of Lee’s The Wedding Banquet, which was released in United States theaters in 1993.

Along with Gladstone (Killers of the Flower Moon) and Yang (Dicks: The Musical), the film will star Kelly Marie Tran (Star Wars: The Last Jedi), Yuh-jung Youn (Minari), and Joan Chen (Judge Dredd).

What will the new Wedding Banquet movie be about?

“When Min’s boyfriend Chris rejects his spontaneous marriage proposal, he convinces his best friend Angela to marry him instead, paying for her partner Liz’s IVF treatments in exchange for his green card,” the synopsis reads. “Their plans for a subtle city hall elopement are turned upside down when Min’s grandmother makes a surprise trip from Seoul to throw them an extravagant Korean wedding banquet.”

The movie is written by Andrew Ahn and James Schamus. Schamus also produces the film alongside Joe Pirro, Anita Gou, and Caroline Clark. Jordan Hart serves as co-producer, while Andrew Karpen, Shivani Rawat, Kent Sanderson, Julie Goldstein, Sam Intili, and Daniel Bekerman will executive produce.

“It warms my heart to see how my film from so many years ago has inspired a new generation to reimagine a new and different version,” said Lee. “I look forward to seeing what Andrew Ahn and his wonderful cast create.”

Bleeker Street CEO Andrew Karpen added, “I’m delighted to re-team with my longtime friend and colleague, James Schamus, on this inspired reimagining of a classic rom-com for the modern era. Andrew Ahn is a force to be reckoned with and I’m very excited to see the new heights that he and James will take this story to.”

Ahn is known for directing 2016’s Spa Night, 2019’s Driveways, and 2022’s Fire Island.

The Wedding Banquet will be released in United States theaters in 2025. Lee’s film, meanwhile, is currently streaming on Kanopy and Freevee.

What's your rating?
{{ratingsCount}} Votes

Related Forums
Angela Okorie fires back at Mercy Johnson’s husband, tags him ‘houseboy’
Forum | 2 hours ago

Angela Okorie fires back at Mercy Johnson’s husband, tags him ‘houseboy’

Wofai Fada’s father-in-law lists reasons for son’s wedding rejection
Forum | 2 hours ago

Wofai Fada’s father-in-law lists reasons for son’s wedding rejection

Oba Elegushi Tells His Second Wife As They Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary
Forum | 1 day ago

Oba Elegushi Tells His Second Wife As They Celebrate 5th Wedding Anniversary